Thursday, December 2, 2010

I really should just add dating service to my resume

I am very comfortable around people, I really like being around them and learning about them. This has sometimes got me into to trouble as I have an ability to probe out stories from people, and sometimes I really shouldn't prod them (generally with a pitchfork) to answer my questions.

I do this mainly because I am curious and sometimes because I know people do not want to brag so they want someone to ask. I am that person.

If you want someone to freak out with you because you got kissed, call me!

If you want someone to bring you ice cream when you get dumped, call me!

If you just want someone to act interested in your life, call me!

This is an attribute that I have noticed more and more has gotten me into position where I set people up on dates. Not often, generally just for Girl's Choice IWA dances.

[Sidebar: I believe that girls should definitely be feeling the pressure to find a date for these things. I feel that every girl needs to know what a guy goes through to ask a girl out. It's hard to do and something that I feel most girls do not fully realize. It's hard to put yourself on the line, so be kind to those boys who are asking. They are great people too].

I have this position because a) I do know a lot of guys b) I am willing and able to take rejection c) most people have a hard time saying no to me.

I always go for one of three approaches to asking them to come to a dance with a stranger.

1. The "I need a Favor". This works well on hometeachers, friends and guys who you know in the ward but aren't buddy-buddy with. I start the pitch with asking them if they are busy and then finish with, I need a favor.  There's a cute girl (because they are all cute!) in my IWA chapter who does not have a date for the dance. Would you be willing to go with her? (if they aren't busy, they say yes).

2. The "I heard you were single". This works well on random guys in your ward. It keeps you from looking too suspicious and you start with, "I heard you were single, and I thought what?!? he's so cool and then I say I know you are busy but would you be willing to go on a date with [insert name of girl] she's super chill!" It works every time like a charm.

3. The "please". This works well on guys who are generally opposed to going on set up dates. Generally, the guy in question might hate set up dates. This one requires that I see them in person. And I say,"so I have this girl who needs a date..." I pause and wait for them to say something like, "You know I do not like set up dates," or "So?" and then I say, "please?" while pouting and looking at them with puppy dog eyes. These guys generally cave because looking at that face makes them laugh and so they are forced to realize that it might be fun.

I think a dating service might just be the thing for me....I'll consider the idea over Christmas break.

No comments:

Post a Comment