Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ok Family it's time to place your bets.

Ok. I'm not going to lie. I can be loud. I can be extremely hyper and super outgoing and totally not care about what people think about me.

But sometimes. I can be shy. Painfully shy. As in I want to curl up into a little ball and make all the people go away. I tried asking a boy I liked out. It sort of went like this:

Me: "Want to go see Toy Story 3 with me like on a date?"

I know you're probably thinking, well that sounds ok, awkward but not horrible. It would have maybe worked out, had he not also started speaking at the same time.

Him: "We could watch Mega-Shark vs. Giant Octopus!"

This made the conversation stall as he had heard nothing of what I said, (I will admit, I mumbled...sort of like a creepy person.) and all I got was that he enjoyed the movie Mega-Shark vs. Giant Octopus, by the way he was holding it up with a super happy face on.

So I did what any fearless, young female does in a situation like this: I chickened out.

Me: "We've all seen that movie, why would we want to watch it again?"

At this time my friend Melanie (McFelony) came back from the bathroom and pretty much eliminated any courage I had left. Instead I melted into an embarrassed puddle of shyness, and did not mention said date again. Instead I brought up Toy Story 3, and just asked him to come with me giving the impression that Melanie (still McFelony) would be coming....ahh, what lovely times my shyness to appear. Why can't my crippling shyness overcome me before I say something silly or stupid, or before I crash down steps or something.

I'm thinking my shyness should be used for good and in a way that will make me a better person. Instead, it cripples me when I should just say, "HEY BUDDY. I LIKE YOU. WE HANG OUT WAY TOO MUCH FOR YOU TO NOT LIKE ME TOO. SO LET'S GO ON A DATE." Unfortunately, any attempts I have made to say something similar come out like this.

Me: mumble...like...mumble....too...mumble..

Him: What?

Me: NOTHING!

So instead I am stuck doing awesome things like convincing my friend Melanie (you guessed it, McFelony) to bring her family (who came up specifically to visit her) to Toy Story 3 so it's me, Melanie, Melanie's family and him. What a great date! I use her as a sort of human shield from courage and having guts.

I think my next plan with him, might feature a shouted (mumbled) declaration of like (sort of like love) as in when I leave for the night after hanging out a conversation might go like this:

Me: This was fun.

Him: Yeah

*high five*

Me: *turning to leave* oh fyi: I like you. Goodnight.

*the door shuts so hard and fast, he is knocked to the ground and wakes up with no memory of the incident.*

So yep. I'm just using that same fearless-ness that has gotten me every boyfriend I have ever had. Strangely enough, I have never been this scared to say something about my feelings. It's slightly bizarre. (note: bizarre has only one z, thank you spell check). Anyway, I feel this is an appropriate time for people to start placing bets on how, when and what I'm going to say...if I say anything at all.
Personally, I feel the plan where I suddenly fall ill for three weeks after admitting I like him is the most feasible.     Does embarrassment-itis count as a real disease? How about ego-bruising?

No comments:

Post a Comment