Monday, August 23, 2010

Relationship = Girl + Boy, right?


Firstly, I have a boyfriend. The guy mention in an earlier post, yeah him. He's my boyfriend. Eventually, I did what I said I would. I took advantage of an opportunity and then declared my like. It kind of went down like this:

Disclaimer: I sound stupid in this situation so be forewarned. 

Him: Well, tonight was fun... *gives me a hug*

Me: *grins like an idiot* yeah. (said with barely contained enthusiasm)

Him: so you're going to be back on Sunday? 

Me: *still grinning stupidly* yeah. (said with barely contained enthusiasm)

Him: ok, talk to you then.

Me: *surprisingly my cheeks haven't given out, as I continue to grin* yeah. (said with barely contained enthusiasm) 

*I turn to leave but turn back around*

Me: Just fyi: I kind of like you. *I start to walk away really fast, like suddenly my pants caught on fire*

Him: I kind of figured. *he leaves*

Me: *starting to grin like a fool again* yeah. (said with barely contained enthusiasm).

End Scene. 

Yeah, not exactly my finest moment, but whatever we are in fact dating, so it ended well. Anyway, I guess I forgot that as much as you think a relationship is just about the two of you: you know girl + boy = relationship. I forgot the family rule which states:


(girl + family) + (boy - age)                 = relationship + family
 family's reaction to relationship


Because I forgot this equation, I failed to remember how many people start to care about you having a relationship, and then in turn you feel like they have to meet the S. O. (significant other) so you can put their rumors to rest. So, I decided this weekend was a good time.

There are only a few things  wrong with this idea.

1. He is meeting my family.
2. #1 takes care of pretty much everything.

I really should explain. I love my family. They are wonderful people who want the best for me, but when I am introducing someone new to them, they have one of two reactions:

1. Immediately begin to give the new person a hard time, and start teasing me incessantly as if they have never seen such a great opportunity to give me a hard time.

or

2. Start finding things wrong with him/our relationship. And then demand that I break-up/never force them to meet him.


Because I am not living in the same state as my parents, they are generally the last ones to meet the new boy, but they have the most information, as the aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents, all dole out their opinion. My aunts, uncles, older cousins, and grandparents generally falls into the 1st category, when they meet someone new. Luckily, I found a guy who could withstand their teasing and they liked him for being able to take a joke.

Unfortunately, my immediate family and my younger cousins generally fall into the 2nd category. My younger sister has told me on many occasions that she is going to hate everyone I date and the guy I eventually marry. So she isn't going to be convinced that I am doing the right thing because he is in fact a good guy, oh well. My younger cousins just think I'm crazy to date people, because in their logic when you get married/start dating you become boring.

At least he met my dad, who whenever someone meets him, raises the question: how is he related to you? I'm not even kidding, if he didn't look so much like me, people would honestly wonder if I was adopted because my father is super chill about stuff, and I tend to be more dramatic.

All in all, it was sort of normal family stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment